[Interview: Part 4 of 5] John Miller, author of '2012: Kin Bin Tin Nah'

Author John Miller has talked about how he started writing. He has also identified some of the people and experiences that have influenced his writing and commented on his concerns as a writer.

In this part of the interview, John Miller talks about his novella, 2012: Kin Bin Tin Nah (Sonar4 Publications, 2009).

How many books have you written so far?

I have one E-Book that was released by Sonar4 Publications in April 2009. That is it.

While I have written and finished novels, I have not allowed them to go public. The reason for this is because I have read novels by small press and the big boy publishers, and I find typos and/or problems that bother me as a reader. I have a responsibility to put forth the best possible work I can, and I will only put forth my very best work. 2012: Kin Bin Tin Nah is the best story I have written.

And while I have other novellas and novels saved on my computer, I also have used the “ladder rung” theory to test my writing ability and what I’m ready for. Each publishing credit (to me) is a rung on the ladder. Each short story accepted and published at ezines and various print anthologies has been my way to gauge my growth as a writer.

I have chosen to climb the ladder slowly, learning about each phase of writing and attempting to master it, before moving onto the next rung or level. I did not wish to write and publish a novel two years ago, only to slip off the ladder. Everything must be successful in this slow journey upwards. This is where I’m at now and I’m happy to be climbing faster and stronger than two years ago.

I am also at the stage to finish one of my other works and begin another. This will bring the most satisfaction to myself as well as my readers; to bring both of us my very best work.

What would you say 2012: Kin Bin Tin Nah is about?

A psychic crumbles in the middle of a séance as “something” attacks her. Belonging to a traveling group of mediums called the Psychic Circus, the psychic dies and her skin turns blue. This happens in the middle of a customer-packed auditorium. The Psychic Circus has appeared on Good Morning, America! as well as other television programs, and its fame has drawn a huge crowd as well as Linda Orteganaldo, a reporter from Time Magazine who comes from Mayan descent. While interviewing Calvin Thomas, owner and business manager of the Psychic Circus, they stumble into the psychic’s tent. “Sacrifices were painted blue,” Linda tells Cal. When Psychic Gladys St.Clare, now a corpse, stands with blue skin shouting, “Kin bin tin nah,” Linda knows exactly what it means: it’s the end of the world.

Calamity strikes. Earthquakes rock San Francisco. Volcanic eruptions. Giant locusts. But the year is 2010 and not 2012. Something is wrong. What?

The Psychic Circus, led by Cal and Linda, not only has to survive the calamities befalling the entire world, they have to dodge the attacks thrown at them by an evil Mayan priest and Cal’s former psychic employees, now blue-skinned zombies.

2012: Kin Bin Tin Nah is an epic fantasy with threads of horror based on Mayan beliefs and the Mayan calendar. While disaster strikes the world itself, the ending will surprise everyone, not with a sudden twist, but with a satisfying conclusion. Of all the things I’ve written, I am most satisfied with the ending of this story.

How long did it take you to write the book?

2012: Kin Bin Tin Nah took me three months to write. It flowed quickly from my wow! moments to the page. Sonar4 Publications published it in April 2009.

I’d originally sent it to a literary agent working for the big publishers. He’d been promoted in Writer’s Digest, and I contacted him immediately. By then—because of the article—he said, “It sounds very interesting, but unfortunately I have accepted too many clients because of the article.”

I continued working on 2012: Kin Bin Tin Nah while looking for markets for it, because at that time Sonar4 didn’t publish novels/novellas. When they announced they would be publishing novels and novellas, I jumped at the chance to submit 2012: Kin Bin Tin Nah to them.

Owned by Shells Walter, Sonar4 Publications has an ezine, quarterly print publication, and has begun publishing E-Books. Sonar4 has emerged so fast and so strong it reminded me of my own Liquid Imagination. I had already sent a short story to Sonar4 and within an hour and fifteen minutes it was accepted, so I was familiar with the publishing company when I sent them 2010: Kin Bin Tin Nah.

I develop a “connection” with certain publications, such as Fantasy and Science Fiction. I had developed a connection with Sonar4, and when Shells Walter accepted my manuscript I danced in joy. Sonar 4 was the perfect publisher to accept my story, and this was proven while editing it with Shells Walter, a professional in the extreme.

What advantages or disadvantages has this presented?

The advantages of having Sonar4 Publications accept my story has been the manner in which it was edited: via AIM. Both Shells and I had my manuscript ready, and she would give a page number or blocked portion of text. I found the text and marked the changes right then and there, or I saved the entire Instant Message in a document file. Editing in this manner superseded the methods I’d used in the past with editors, greatly enhancing and speeding up the work. What I assumed would take months of correspondence happened in a very quick and concise manner, no small thanks to Shells.

Disadvantages? None that I can see, other than the fact that Sonar4 Publications isn’t throwing millions of dollars into promoting my story because its not a major publisher. But the virtual tours, the cross-blogging, the trailers for my book, and the promotional work that Sonar4 Publications puts behind each accepted and published novel is mind-boggling.

Shells Waters puts such an incredible amount of work and effort into everything she does. I know for a fact other editors who publish books put in only a fraction of the amount of work Shells puts into her projects; she gets behind the products, and you can tell she believes in it. She’s out to make money and entertain readers, and she’s doing it in the most gracious and professional manner imaginable.

Related resources:

Author’s page, Edit Red Writing Community
Author’s page, Sonar4 Publication

Interviews
Possibly related books:

,,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Interview] Rory Kilalea

writers' resources

[Interview] Lauri Kubuitsile